Friday, February 17, 2012

The Third Tradition

 
THE ONLY REQUIREMENT



Visit us at Friendship House

"At one time  .  .  .  every A.A. group had many membership rules.  Everybody was scared witless that something or somebody would capsize the boat.  .  .  The total list was a mile long.  If all those rules had been in effect everywhere, nobody could have possibly joined A.A. at all,  .  .  ."

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 139-40

I'm grateful that the Third Tradition only requires of me a desire to stop drinking.  I had been breaking promises for years.  In the Fellowship I didn't have to make promises, I didn't have to concentrate.  It only required my attending one meeting, in a foggy condition, to know I was home.
I didn't have to pledge undying love.  Here, strangers hugged me.  "It gets better," they said, and "one day at a time, you can do it."  They were no longer strangers, but caring friends.  I ask God to help me reach out to people desiring sobriety, and to, please, keep me grateful!

**********************************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought For The Day

"Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure
immunity from drinking as extensive work with other alcoholics.
Carry the message to other alcoholics. You can help when no one
else can. You can secure their confidence when others fail. Life
will take on new meaning for you. To watch people recover, to see
them help others in turn, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a
fellowship grow about you, to have a host of friends, this is an
experience you must not miss." Am I always ready and willing to help
other alcoholics?

Meditation For The Day

One secret of abundant living is the art of giving. The paradox of
life is that the more you give, the more you have. If you loose your
life in the service of others, you will save it. You can give
abundantly and still live abundantly. You are rich in one respect – you
have a spirit that is inexhaustible. Let no mean or selfish thought
keep you from sharing this spirit. Of love, of help, of
understanding, and of sympathy, give and keep giving. Give your
personal ease and comfort, your time, your money, and most of all,
yourself. And you will be living abundantly.

Prayer For The Day

I pray that I may live to give. I pray that I may learn this secret of
abundant living.

******************************************

Thought for Today


--Arthur Rubinstein

****************************

Buddha/Zen Thoughts

We have a saying in Tibet. "If you lose your temper and get angry, bite your knuckles." This means that if you lose your temper, do not show it to others. Rather, say to yourself, "Leave it."

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

********************************
Native American

"I started drinking more seriously, seeking refuge, seeking death actually, from a world that was feeling more and more unnatural to me. Following a painful accident related to drinking, I finally realized that I must decide whether I want to follow my grandparents or truly take up this life. Circumstances that followed led me to choose life."
--Barney Bush, SHAWNEE
My life is run by choices and decisions. Every choice I make today will carry with it the consequences of that choice. Every decision I make today will carry with it the consequences of that decision. The question I will ask myself today is, "Do I want to be happy or do I want to be right?" Which ever one I choose will have a lot to do with the consequences I will experience today. If today was the last day of my life, what choices and what decisions would I make?
Oh Great Spirit, guide my path today and help me see the value of choosing the Red Road.

*********************************************

Keep It Simple

 Love is something if you give away, you end up having more.  ---  Malvina Reynolds

Service is how we give love away. It’s the “self” of self-help. Service is not a duty; a gift that’s been given to us. We help ourselves by helping others. It’s how we make sure the program will be here tomorrow. We “carry the message.” It’s just one way we see how important we are to others. The world needs us. The world needs our love.

Prayer for the Day:  I pray for help in making service a big part of my program. Higher Power, help me to “carry the message.”

Action for the Day:  Which people could use a kind word and a little love? I will go visit them or give them a call.

No comments:

Post a Comment