Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Lifelong Task



"But just how, in these circumstances, does a fellow take it easy? That's what I want to know."

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, up. 26

I was never know for my patience. How many times have I asked, "Why should I wait, when I can have it all right now? "Indeed, when I was first presented the Twelve Steps, I was like the proverbial "kid in a candy store." I couldn't wait to get to Step Twelve; it was surely just a few months' work, or so I thought! I realize now that living the Twelve Steps of A.A. is a lifelong undertaking.



****************************************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

A.A. Thought for the Day

Sometimes we try too hard to get this program. It is better to relax and accept it. It will be given to us, with no effort on our part, if we stop trying too hard to get it. Sobriety can be a free gift of God, which He gives us by His grace when He knows we are ready for it. But we have to be ready. Then we must relax, take it easy, and accept the gift with gratitude and humility. We must put ourselves in God's hands. We must say to God: "Here am I and here are all my troubles. I've made a mess of things and can't do anything about it. You take me and all my troubles and do anything you want with me." Do I believe that the grace of God can do for me what I could never do for myself?

Meditation for the Day

Fear is the curse of the world. Many are our fears. Fear is everywhere. I must fight fear as I would a plague. I must turn it out of my life. There is no room for fear in the heart in which God dwells. Fear cannot exist where true love is or where faith abides. So I must have no fear. Fear is evil, but "perfect love castes out all fear." Fear destroys hope and hope is necessary for all of humanity.

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may have no fear. I pray that I may cast all fear out of my life.

*****************************************

Thought for Today



Expectations
My serenity is inversely proportional to my expectations.
The higher my expectations of other people,
the lower is my serenity.
I can watch my serenity level rise when I discard my
expectations.
But then my "rights" try to move in,
and they too can force my serenity level down.
I have to discard my "rights" as well as my expectations,
by asking myself, How important is it, really?
co. 2001 AWASH, Alcoholics Anonymous, up. 420
With permission, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
^*^**^*^


Thought to Ponder . . .
Heighten your perceptions
and lower your expectations.



*************************************************************



Buddha/Zen Thoughts

Leave the mind in its natural, undisturbed state. Don't follow thoughts of "This is a problem, that is a problem!" Without labeling difficulties as problems, leave your mind in its natural state. In this way, you will stop seeing miserable conditions as problems."

-Lama Zopa Rinpoche, "Transforming Problems Into Happiness"

*************************************

Native American

"I have always searched for my place and my people."

--Wendy Rose, HOPI/MIWOK

For every human being to feel connected, we must have the feeling of belonging. That is one of the values and benefits of a culture: it creates the feeling of belonging. If for some reason, while you were growing up, you did not develop the feeling of belonging, a search will be triggered and a restlessness will be present in your heart. You will have a hole inside you, something missing, until you find your place and your people. Remember, we can get this feeling of belonging when we realize we belong to the Great Spirit and that He really loves us a lot.

My Creator, today, I belong to You. Let me feel Your presence. Thank You.

*************************************

Keep It Simple

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today. --- William Allen White


Big changes are happening to us, but we can trust that changes will bring good things. After all, what have we got to lose? We have lived through the days and years of our addiction. Now, with the help of our Higher Power, the pain of those days has ended. We have no reason to worry.

Yet, recovery won't make our lives perfect. Hard things still happened. But we never have to lose hope again. We never have to feel alone with our problems. What will come next? We don't know the details, but we can be sure the future will be good if we stay on our path of recovery.


Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, I know life holds many new things for me. Help me and protect me as I live in Your care today.


Action for the Day: Today, I'll trust that each day of my life will bring me good. I will share this idea with one friend.

Come share the journey with us at Friendship House

No comments:

Post a Comment