Wednesday, September 1, 2010

WILLINGNESS TO GROW



If more gifts are to be received, our awakening has to go on.
AS BILL SEES IT, p. 8

Sobriety fills the painful "hole in the soul" that my alcoholism created.  Often I feel so physically well that I believe my work is done.  However, joy is not just the absence of pain; it is the gift of continual spiritual awakening.  Joy comes from ongoing and active study, as well as application from the principles of recovery in my everyday life, and from sharing that experience with others.  My Higher Power presents many opportunities for deeper spiritual awakening.  I need only to bring into my recovery the willingness to grow.  Today I am ready to grow.

********************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
A.A. Thought for the Day
"Be careful not to brand new prospects as alcoholics.  Let them draw their own conclusion.  But talk to them about the hopelessness of alcoholism.  Tell them exactly what happened to you and how you recovered.  Stress the spiritual feature freely.  If they are agnostics or atheists, make it emphatic that they do not have to agree with your conception of God.  They can choose any conception they like, provided it makes sense to them.  The main thing is that they be willing to believe in a Power greater than themselves and that they live by spiritual principles."  Do I hold back too much in speaking of the spiritual principles of the program?
Meditation for the Day
"I will never leave nor forsake thee."  Down through the centuries, thousands have believed in God's constancy, untiringness, and unfailing love.  God has love.  Then forever you are sure of His love.  God has power.  Then forever you are sure, in every difficulty and temptation, of His strength.  God has patience.  Then always there is One who can never tire.  God has understanding.  Then always you will understand and be understood.  Unless you want Him to go, God will never leave you.  He is always ready with power.
Prayer for the Day
I pray that I may feel that God's love will never fail.  I pray that I may have confidence in His unfailing power.

**************************************

Thought for Today

AA is not a self improvement program.  We come here to learn to live with our limitations.

***********************************

Buddha/Zen Thoughts

In the gloom and darkness of the night, when there is a sudden flash of light, a person will recognize objects; in the same way, the one with a flash of insight sees according to reality--"This is how sorrow works; this is how it arises; this is how it can come to an end; this is the path leading to that end."

-Anguttara Nikaya

*************************

Native American

"Everyone has a song. God gives us each a song. That's how we know who we are. Our song tells us who we are."
--Charlie Knight, UTE
As we start to walk the Red Road and as we develop ourselves as Warriors, a song will come to us. This song is given to each of us from the Great Spirit. Whenever we sing this song, we will receive courage and strength not only for ourselves but if we sing this song for others, it will also help them. The song will give us power and make us feel really good. The song will make us see life in a sacred way. If you don't have your song yet, ask the Creator in prayer if He will give you your song. With the song comes a responsibility - the responsibility to act and conduct oneself as a Warrior according to your song.
Oh my Creator, let me live my song. Let my song honor Your way of life. Let me sing my song each day. At the end of today, let my song tell people who I am. I am a beautiful child of the Creator.
*****************************************
Keep It Simple
 Made direct amends to such people wherever possible . . . ---  First half of Step Nine
In our illness, we harmed people. In Step Nine, we are to make amends. Making amends is about asking people we have harmed what we need to do to set things right. But making amends is more than saying, “I'm sorry.” If you ran a store and someone had stolen five dollars, you wouldn't want them to just say,  ”I'm sorry.” You'd want the person to pay back the money. The same is true with amends.
Many people we've harmed ask only that we don't repeat our mistakes. Respect their wishes. Step Nine has healed many wounds. Step Nine allows us to grow up. Step Nine help us regain faith in ourselves. Remember, the best amend we make to all is to stay sober. 
Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, give me courage. Help me face the trouble caused by my disease. Make me ready to help other heals from the harm I've caused.
Action for the Day:  Today, I'll pray that those I've harmed will heal. I will be responsible for my actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment